Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mountain Masochist Report

What fantastic weather we had for the 27th running of this event. I, unfortunately was not in my best shape and suffered for most of the day. I still got it done and ran really well at the end - just too much damage was done the previous 10 hours. Still, with an 11:38 it was not even my worst time here. For starting basically "off the couch", I suppose that is not so bad. I got to run with a lot of good folks including Rebecca Phalen, Ed Marsh, Ashley Funderburk, John Teed, Melinda Yelton and DC Lucchesi. I wasn't with DC or Melinda long as they ran great races. DC posted a 9:37 and Melinda got 10th female! I also spent a good amount of time towards the end with Tom Green - the only person to start all 27 editions of this race.

I really did have a good time even though the ego took a hit with my performance. The road trip up with John was a blast with a stop at Lexington BBQ and lots of old school country music and southern rock blaring the whole way. The trip up is usually as much fun as the run. The trip back however, is no fun at all. Now, I have to decide if I am still game for Hellgate...

3 comments:

Rick Gray said...

Bedford, You ran great for as much work related travel as has been necessary. Finishing the race is such an accomplishment. A couple of weeks of good training and Hellgate will be very doable. Do not back out. As you already know, Hellgate is a very special event. You want to be there. It will be painful for me also, as I usually end up with a death march to the finish. See you at Hellgate. Rick

Sophie Speidel said...

Rick is right! You do NOT want to miss out on Hellgate, Bedford. There is nothing like it. If you can finish MMTR you can finish Hellgate :-)

See you there!

Jennifer Boyce Lavrack said...

Great job on finishing! Hope everything else is going well too!